Rabies isn't the only disease transmitted from animals to humans. In fact, you and your pet may share more diseases than you may realize. Fortunately, it's easy to avoid these diseases or conditio ...View Article
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Posted on 03-14-2018
Poisoning is a problem that doesn't get enough attention in the pet world. That's why we're offering information in recognition of Pet Poison Prevention Month. With these tips from our Gainesville veterinarians, your pet has a lower chance of ingesting or otherwise being exposed to poisons that can land him or her at the emergency vet – or worse. Here are some of the top poisons that pets get into:
Antifreeze, also known as anti-boil, contains ethylene glycol – a sweet-tasting, but deadly, component. Its sweet taste fools dogs into thinking it is good to drink. By the time its nasty aftertaste kicks in, it's too late. Dogs and other animals get at antifreeze by licking the ground where it has pooled under leaky radiators or where it has simply been spilled. Be sure to block access to these and other sources of the fluid.
This is a very common threat, especially to dogs. Eating too much chocolate can cause kidney failure. How much is too much? Vets typically recommend that dogs get NO chocolate at all. That said, the animal's size, current kidney health, and the amount of chocolate ingested all play a role in how poorly it will be tolerated. For the best safety, take your pet to a vet if it has had any chocolate – he or she may have hidden health conditions that make it so that even a little will be deadly without treatment.
These poisons are typically sold in the form of tasty, grain-like "baits" meant to convince rodents that they are okay to eat. Unfortunately, your pets will also think they're edible. Help keep your pets safe by avoiding the use of these poisons if at all possible.
Cats are the ones at risk for lily poisoning. Whether they come in the form of potted Easter lilies or are outside in the garden, they're bad for felines to eat if they're in the lilium species group. Keep your cats safe by not keeping or planting any of these flowers within their reach.
Pets often mistake pills for kibbles, and they can easily overdose if they don't mind the flavor. Keep all medications out of reach of pets and children.
For more poison prevention tips, or for treatment of suspected pet poisoning, call us here at Millhopper Veterinary Medical Center in Gainesville, FL. We'll be glad to help.
There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.